Friday, November 19, 2010

Where Do You Meditate?

Camels in Jebel, Turkmenistan

Genesis 24:63 NIV
"He went out to the field one evening to meditate, and as he looked up, he saw camels approaching."

I have difficulty finding quiet places for alone time with God. I wake up in the mornings and rush in a mad panic to get to school. The rest of the day is no better, and by the end of it, I am exhausted and ready to keel over.

This aspect of my life needs work. It should be my priority.

In a household with two teenage girls, though, it seems we are always busy juggling schedules and hormones. If one girl isn’t moody, the other is.  

Sometimes, I want to get in the car and drive off to the pier on St. Simons Island to watch the tide rise and fall while my husband picks up the pieces at home and repairs them.


I feel close to God when cool sea breezes caress my face. The rhythms of the tide lapping against breakers on the shore comfort me as if I were a child being lulled to sleep by the rocking of a chair.

Nature is my refuge.

In Turkmenistan, I love visiting the outer regions, where camels roam freely across the desert, and the best meditation time I have is under the stars of the Milky Way next to the bee hives.

I imagine ancient times when men and women traveled by camels and had time to meditate and talk to God without rushing their prayers on drives through traffic on the way to work, or in the shower, or as they were dressing.

I want time to socialize with God. We’d drink tea, eat cake, and talk. That’s my fantasy meditation time.
Dearest Lord, I’m sorry I fall short giving You the time You deserve.

Camel outside Abadan, Turkemenistan

No comments:

Post a Comment