Sunday, November 7, 2010

Thy Wings Shall My Petition Bear

South Georgia Egret
Colossians 4:2 NIV
"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."

Many people know the old hymn, "Sweet Hour of Prayer" and its expression of joy that comes from communion with God through prayer.

The third verse proclaims:

"Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!"


I practice praying. I struggle with praying in silence and out loud. What ends up happening when I pray is more of a discussion between God and me. I try to listen to him. I look for signs from Him to show I am on the right path.


The strongest sign He gives me is a rainbow. He uses other ways to talk to me as well: A funny comment on a bumper sticker, a street sign, and Bible verses or devotions timely read.


When I first began leading Children's Moments at church once a month, I worried about praying in front of the adults. One of my high school students gave me advice I still use: Keep the prayer short and on the topic.  As long as I do that, I am able to pray in public, and I get a little more comfortable about it each month.


Prayer is an art to be developed with practice. Thankfully, God fills the gap and understands what we are trying to convey in our half-words and awkward pauses.
-------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, thank you for your truth, faithfulness and grace as we approach you each day with our cares in prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are beautiful and thoughtful. I thought of my mother when I read this one. She is blessed with a gift for praying, whether it's in public or private. (I am afraid I did not inherit that gift!) I will happily share this post with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, DogMom. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete