Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Bird at Sunrise

Bird at Sunrise, Mountains outside of Ashgabat, Turkmenistan 2009

 

Psalms 50:11 NIV
"I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are mine."

God knows our name.

As a teacher, this is one of the most important steps I have to get right at the beginning of the school year. I have three classes of students, and I better learn names and pronounce them correctly as soon as possible, or else I am in big trouble with the students.

God knows our names, and we are His. He claims us as His children, and as such, He has taken an interest in our lives since before we were born. He knew us in the womb. He has been with us since He named us.

Furthermore, He has known the name of every person who has ever lived as well as his or her whole life story.

It makes my mind spin to consider this. I think the truly remarkable aspect of this revelation is not only does He know my life story, but He still loves me in spite of myself.  He sent His son to die for my sins because He loves me so much.  The amazing grace we sing about so often humbles me the older I get.

I found the bird in the above photo observing the sunrise and admiring it as much as I one summer morning in late June. We had both paused a moment to reflect upon the handiwork of our Creator who knew us by name.

How comforting to realize God loves us so much He knows us by name, and He knows and cares about what happens to us in our daily lives.
----------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for knowing who I am and for helping me through the challenges I face each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment