Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How Do You Ask the Question?



 



  

Sunrise 16 November 2010  Brunswick, Georgia


Job 37:15 NIV
"Do you know how God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?"

God dramatically appeared to Job in a whirlwind and asked him a string of questions he couldn't possibly answer.


However, like Job, I have a foolish list of questions I'd like to ask God, too. I call my list, "The List." I know—it’s not very original.

I used to have a top 10 list of questions, and then it grew as I aged and I lost count of the questions. Finally, I had so many questions on the list, I lost track of them all, and I just gave up and have mostly forgotten them all, including my original top 10.

It is rather presumptuous to think of the creation wanting to ask the Creator about the events of her life, but then, I suppose it's only natural that curious and intellectual beings have questions about the state of our existence and want to know why difficult things happen to us.

However, as I explained to my students today as they researched for sources for their papers and kept running into dead ends on their Google searches, it's how we ask the question that matters.

“Why?” is not the right question to ask our Creator. 

“What do we make of our lives now that these things have happened to us?” is a better question to ask.

In this lifetime, we will never know the answer to why most events of our lives occur, but we can control what we do once they happen. We can keep positive attitudes and pray for the situation and all those involved.
------------------------------
Dear Lord, thank you for helping us redeem the
circumstances of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment