Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Wallet, A Phone, A Gun, and GOD

Heron Flying over a Savannah, Georgia, Pond


Isaiah 40:31
"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;  they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

"Just got mugged. Wallet and phone stolen. I'm perfectly fine, just upset at the amount of work I'm going to have to do to get it all fixed." 

I grew faint as I read my son’s post on Facebook. Panic flowed over me, and I began to shake with nerves about Russell’s condition.

Even though I knew his phone was stolen I wrote, "Call us cause I don't know how to contact you!"

I wrote again: "CALL ASAP."

As I calmed down and realized he couldn't call, I waited for a text from him.

Then it dawned on me he could be hurt: "Are you hurt?"  

I waited impatiently for a reply.

Finally the lines of communication opened, and we chatted online. The thief took $30, a money card with $6 on it, his driver's license and his social security card.

When Russell's roommate, Caleb, arrived home from work, he called home.

His father bragged about how well he had conducted himself under the stress of the situation then handed the phone to me, where I asked the question.

"Did he have a gun?"

"He sure did. He said this wasn't a joke and to give him everything I had."

"Russell, you had angels around you tonight! God watched over you, you realize that, don't you?"

"Yes."

He and Caleb are laughing now at the situation and putting emotional distance between it and themselves. They’ve had other problems in their apartment complex, and this incident signals one more reason to relocate.

On an ironic note, the mugger left Russell the dinner he had just bought after getting off from work.  Caleb and I tease Russell that he could have offered him some dinner. I’m beginning to laugh again. What a surprise and relief.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, my hope and strength is in you each day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. What a scare. I can only imagine how frightening it is for a mother to go through this, let alone a young man. God sent angels to Russell's aide for sure.

    ReplyDelete