Monday, November 15, 2010

The Face in the Crowd

Rye, New York   October 2010

Proverbs 27:19 NIV
"As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man."

As one of my students entered my classroom today, I stopped her and asked her to look me in the eyes. I’ve promised her mother to keep an eye on her, and today, I had some cause for concern.

We are observing her for migraines due to a concussion she suffered this past year. Today was a tough day for her. I told her to do the best she could in class. She has a friend who works with her, so I knew she would be fine.

I have learned as a teacher their faces and eyes tell me all I need to know. They would be surprised to hear how easy it is to observe their problems on their faces.

The same holds true about the character of a person’s life. It’s not hard to distinguish a bully from a person being bullied. The hardness in a person’s eyes, the lack of emotion at another person’s anguish and pain, these traits are also evident in a person’s life.

The wisdom of the ancient prophets holds true today. Look into people’s eyes and deep into the lines of their faces, and you can clearly perceive the character of their hearts.

Spiritual people stand out in a crowd. They have a presence about them. Their faces seem less careworn. They have troubles, but they are more likely to give their worries to God.


Reading faces is not so difficult. Our lives are open books to those who are perceptive enough to study them.
Dear Lord, help us work on the character of our hearts, so our appearances will reflect your spirit that lives inside us.

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful prayer. It is my hope that I am able to share His love easily with others everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DogMom--

    One of the faces I had in my mind as I prayed that prayer was your grandmother's because I had just looked at those beautiful photos from her party. I have to pray every day to let my light shine. I want to radiate when I am 100, too. :)

    ReplyDelete