Friday, November 5, 2010

Name Them One by One

Animal Kingdom Resort,  Disney World,  July 2010

Psalms 128:1-2
"Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in his ways.  You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours."

Today was not great for me at work. A few of my junior girls had an emotional meltdown and lit into me. It’s no wonder. This is the year of state tests. My job is to prepare them for one of these tests, and as we get closer to test time, the more stressed some students get.  So, today, the girls unleashed their emotions at me.

I wish I could say I held up well during the onslaught, but I was blindsided. My heart was on my sleeve, and tears ran freely down my cheek. I was embarrassed to let them see me cry, and I was disappointed in myself for letting them get to me.

One student remained after the bell and spoke soft words to me. I will always remember her kindness. It was as unexpected as the harsh words had been. I could barely squeak out a "thank you" to her, but her words began a healing process for me.

It took a solid hour for me to regain my composure. By the time the next class appeared, I was a teacher again, and I was able to work with the new class professionally.

I know all professions have moments like this. I have friends in all fields and hear their stories.

Some days turn on a dime, and we have to trust God is in control of it all. The words stung me, but there was mercy shown to me as well.
-------------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for all the blessings of our lives. Every day let us appreciate all we have and all those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment