Saturday, November 27, 2010

Barbie Roller Skates

Atlantic Ocean        April 2010



James 1:6 NIV
"But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."


My husband, John, and I drove home with our four-year-old daughter, Allison, after a day trip. The clear autumn night sparkled with stars. To entertain her on the trip, I taught her "Star Light, Star Bright".

As soon as we arrived home, Allison stood outside our house, looked up at the first star she saw, closed her eyes, and spoke with unwavering faith:

Star Light, Star Bright
First Star I see tonight
I wish I may
I wish I might
Have the wish I wish tonight.

She spoke it perfectly. I was proud of her. However, I stopped dead in my tracks when she immediately plopped down on the walk still looking up at the heavens. 


"Allie, what’re you doing? Let's go inside where it's warm." I urged.

"Not until I get my wish," she answered with innocent eyes.

John doubled over in laughter.

Oh no! She believed with the heart of a child. What was I going to do?


"Uh--Allison, what did you wish for?"

"Barbie roller skates."


Good grief! Of course it can't be play dough! It's ten o'clock and Wal-Mart is my only option. She can't stay outside for an hour while I try to fix this.

I explain the "addendum to the star wish."  She'd have to wait until tomorrow--like getting money from the tooth fairy. She accepted that condition and went inside to bed.

I prayed for guidance as I drove to the store, but when I got there, I couldn’t find Barbie roller skates.

However, in the morning, Allison woke up delighted to discover a new Barbie doll beside her in bed with a skateboard as an accessory.
---------------------------------------------------------
Lord, help me pray with the faith of a child, who sincerely believes her prayers are heard and will be answered.



No comments:

Post a Comment