Monday, November 22, 2010

His Loving Hand to Guide Us



















                       Butterfly at Calloway Gardens, Georgia

Psalms 139:9-10 NIV
"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

As a child, I loved holding my parents’ hands. I felt safe and secure.

I also loved to run off on my own. Once, when I was 4 or 5 years old, out of boredom, I spun in wild circles at S.S. Kresge's while my parents checked out at the register.

When I stopped spinning, I couldn't find them. I was lost!

The overwhelming sense of separation from my family filled me with terror.  I wondered how I would ever find them. Needless to say, my dad located me, and the reunion made a strong impression on me.  I learned right then to hold hands and pay better attention.

I like the image of God holding our hands, guiding us, watching over us through our ups and downs.

There’s an intimacy that comes from touch; warmth that passes from hand to hand; a knowing, understanding squeeze of the hand can communicate an understanding beyond words.

Close friends don't need to talk to each other; they can tell everything they need to know by touch.

When we pray by holding hands around a circle, celebrate the flow of love radiating from life to life building and growing among us. This is God.

When I'm sick, depressed, or in need of a friend, the one who reaches out to me and touches me is the one who has reached my heart. 

God lives in our hearts as He walks with us, holding our hands, guiding us on our ways.
---------------------------------------
Dear Lord, lead us and hold our hands tight, especially through the tough times.

No comments:

Post a Comment