Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Working for the Future

Allie's DNA Science Project
2010
Proverbs 14:23 NIV
"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty."

She had been stretched out in the hall outside my classroom working on her study guide for her approaching unit test over short stories with her classmates. The end of the bell was approaching, and I had just checked her answers to make sure her study guide was accurate.

She stood up, stretched, raised her arms to the ceiling and yawned, then bent over to gather her belongings. She paused at the study guide, held it up and asked, "Mrs. Durham, are we going to have more work like this tomorrow?"

I smiled, "Well, you have a test coming up. We have to review. You tell me."

She frowned as she walked to my door. "Awwww-but these are so hard!"

I laughed, "Yes, but when you were in Kindergarten, tying your shoes was hard. You're a Sophomore now."

She smiled a devious smile back at me over her shoulder as
she entered the room, "Ah--I didn't tie my shoes! I had velcro."

My 15 and 16 year old students are balking at doing the hard work required to meet my standards in the classroom. To some degree, their behavior reflects their age. To another degree, it's their own laziness.

Yesterday we had a "reality check" as I collected all the papers they had turned in to me, and I put on top of the stack of papers a grade print-out for each student.  I highlighted the grades that were missing, and I highlighted their class average.

I stapled all these papers together and gave them to the kids. I told them I would call home as a follow up to make sure their parents received the print-outs and the papers. I told them to have their folks sign the print-outs and return them to me. I called 28 families last night.

I reached a little over half of my parents. We had wonderful conversations. Today, after parents spoke to their children last night, my students decided hard work might benefit them.

I didn't like having to pull the "Parent Card" on the kids. I usually give them a week or two to get used to a new class and a new teacher before I bring in the folks at home, but when parents and teachers work together to help kids, then it can be a good situation for everyone.

One day, these kids will grow up and realize they will have to learn to tie their shoes, and there isn't a short cut like velcro for all of life's problems. Sometimes, only hard work will bring us a profit and success in life.

Yes, they will get more challenges from me each day; I won't apologize for stretching their brain muscles.
---------------------------------------------------------
Lord, help me remember when I have to work hard I am working to bring glory to you, and I am doing your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment