Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Lesson in Humility


St. Marys, GA
2007
James 4:6 NIV
"But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'"

Early American Literature was one of the driest courses I took as an English graduate student. My professor, a gloomy fellow who had just gone through an emotional divorce, buried himself in his research of the Transcendentalists, Emerson and Thoreau, to get through his difficult time.

I liked him. There was something about his surliness that drew me to his vulnerbility, and I had a way of making him smile when I entered his office to visit.  He and his officemate would put aside their work for a few minutes when I stepped in their office. My prof  looked up at me and would say with as much cheer and a smile as he could muster, "Here comes the sunshine!"

His officemate was a gentle person and a good foil for his colleague's moodiness. They were opposites in personality and life situations, yet serious scholars in their work.  They both have passed away now, but I recall the warmth in the room as I visited the two of them and talked about their work and got advice on my own.

As my Early American Literature course came to a completion, I was confused to discover I had received a B in the class.  It was the only B I had received in any of my grad school classes, and I was certain, based on my rapport with my professor, that he would give me an A.  I went to him and asked about the B. I explained it kept me from receiving all As in grad school.  He listened to me carefully, nodded his head and replied, "Well, it will keep you humble in life."

I have to admit, I wasn't happy, but I knew my tests in his class hadn't been all As. I just thought he would make up the gap. It was a tough and boring course, and I believed because he liked me as a student he would boost my grade.

I learned a lesson from him beyond the classroom that semester.

I have indeed learned humility from him as well.  I can not say I made a 4.0 in grad school.  I made a 3.9 something. I made one B. I was less than perfect. I don't want to be perfect, actually. I don't want to think more of myself or place myself above others. I need to remain humble.

My professor gave me a gift, although at the time I didn't recognize it. He taught me to hold on to humility and to let go of perfection.
-----------------------------------
Lord, thank you for teachers like Dr. Mortland who taught me a lesson in humility, not just lessons in American Literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment