Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Courage Within

Rye, New York
October 2010


1 Corinthians 16: 13-14
"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love."

One October night, a young girl sat on a small stool in front of the television in her livingroom watching the Wizard of Oz for the first time in her life with her parents when Margaret Hamilton's green face appeared in the hour glass Dorothy was looking into as she talked to her frentic Auntie Em.

The witch's face was ill-defined at first, but soon it became clear and meanacing as she looked directly at Dorothy and warned her she would get her (and her little dog, too). Then she cackled as only wicked witches can cackle.

That was it for me! I screamed, bolted out the room and dove under my bed covers. I heard both my parents laughing behind me in the living room. I was scared out of my wits. How could they laugh in the face of such danger, I wondered? I'll never forget my first experience with The Wizard of Oz.

I thought of the Lion's speech about courage today. It goes like this:

(Cowardly Lion): Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?

(All): Courage!

Although the final part of his speech degenerates for the sake of humor, the Lion makes a few good points at the start.

I don't necessarily wake up in the morning planning something heroic, yet at times, a situation arises, and I have the opportunity to help someone in need. During the tragedy in Tucson, ordinary people found themselves in extraordinary situations that required courage. They put the lives of others before their own safety.

Courage lives within us and is given in love. However, it takes strength of character to be courageous, not a wizard.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, help me to find courage when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment