Monday, January 10, 2011

Shout With Joy

Snow Angel
December 2004
Psalms 33:3 NIV
"Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy."

Seems like the past few days have been tough ones as I have followed the national news, and in my own family, loved ones are facing serious health issues, as are friends of ours, whom we have known and loved for many years.  

It's easy for me to get depressed by the news. In fact, I cried listening to a report this past weekend. I didn't know I would, but as the news anchor began to cry and the woman she was interviewing broke down in tears, I was right there with them.

I need to do a better job of walking away and giving my pain and worries to God. After all, He is the one who is in control.

When I give my head time to clear, I begin to notice little miracles around me that give me pause to reflect and remember hope is alive. Where? In children.  While I am tuned in too much to the news, where are the kids? 

In the middle and northern parts of Georgia this weekend, they have been enjoying their second major snowfall of winter. Some school systems have already cancelled classes for tomorrow, which means a second snow day for these kids--a second day of joyful playing in the snow for southern kids who don't get to see it too often.

My south Georgia kids are jealous of their northern neighbors. We had rain today. Had our temperature dropped twenty degrees, we could have had the cold white snow, too, but we had to settle on cold wet rain.

When I look around me, I see children playing with joy. Laughing students were tossing basketballs in the gym today when I walked in there. After school, the varsity cheerleaders were practicing their routine with gusto in the lobby. Happy, smiling faces were all around me.

There is Faith, Hope and Love. The greatest of these is love, but I also need faith and hope, so I can shout with joy in my heart that the Lord is in control, especially in times when the world confuses me.
--------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, help me to become more joyful in your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment