Saturday, January 8, 2011

God's Perfect Timing


John and Lori
December 2007

Galatians 4:4-5 NIV
"But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship."

In 1990 I stood outside my classroom door and heard a familiar voice holler down the hall, "Does anyone in the English or Business Department want to teach a Business Communications class at the navy base for Brenau University?

I recognized the voice of a friend and knew immediately about the job to which she referred. I had read the advertisment in the newspaper but assumed the satellite branch of the university wanted a business teacher for the course. I was wrong.

I'd been struggling to survive on my income as a single parent, and a lucrative second income would help me out. I talked to my friend who told me she knew the director of the program at Brenau, who had contacted her to recruit someone to fill the position.

She called him, told him about me, and before I knew it, I was a civilian teaching on a submarine base in Kingsland, Georgia.

I have discovered in life, if God desires me to do something, doors open so quickly I don't have a chance to close them behind me. I was tossed through this door as if a hurricane 
had lifted me up and hurled me onto the base.

At the same time I joined the staff at Brenau University, John Durham decided it was time to take care of unfinished business in his life. He'd not completed all his credits for his college degree, and after several years of working as a civilian at the Kings Bay Navy Base, he decided to enroll in Brenau University to complete a business degree.

At the time, he was working in the transportation department, but he hoped his new degree would lead to a transfer to the computer room and place him in a growing field he was more interested in. God opened doors for him. He was not only able to complete his degree, but he was also able to find work with computers on base once he graduated.

Tomorrow I'm to teach the Children's Moment at church. The topic is Galatians 4:4 "God's Timing". I'll talk about how today, January 9, 1991, two civilians met in a classroom on a navy base. One hoping to earn some extra money for her child and herself, the other looking to earn a degree. 

After the course ended, John and I dated for fifteen weeks. We knew on the first date we were meant to be together. Everything just felt natural and right when we were together. After fifteen weeks of dating, we were married. That will be twenty years ago this July.

God's timing is the perfect timing. I don't fight for what I want in life.  If it isn't meant to be, then I don't push for the brick wall to fall down. However, if the door opens wide, if a miracle seems to have happened to take me somewhere, then I know with certainty God is in the middle of the action.

I hope I can help the kids tomorrow understand how Mr. John and Miss Lori met through God's perfect timing on the 20th anniversary of the day we met.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord,  Thank you for your timing in my life. It has brought me such joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment