Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Lady or the Tiger?

Opened Door
What was on the Other Side?

Proverbs 27:4 NIV
"Anger is cruel and fury overwhelming, but who can stand before jealousy?"
  
Today was the first day with new students, so I prepared copies of a short story in case books didn't arrive in time for class. Thirty sophomores arrived at the end of the day, tired and eager to go home. I selected a story to engage them and provoke discussion.
Frank Stockton wrote "The Lady or The Tiger" in 1882. It appeared in a national magazine and sparked national debate over the ending.
Briefly, a common young man has fallen in love with a semi-barbaric king's daughter, whose character isn’t too different from her father's.  The king allows fate to resolve criminal matters, and when he discovers the ill-advised love affair, he sentences the young man to an arena where his fate will be determined. 

He must open one of two doors in front of him. Behind one is a man-eating tiger; behind the other, a beautiful maiden dressed for marriage.  If he opens that door, the celebration will begin; he will marry the woman and live with her forever.
The prisoner knows the king's daughter has discovered what lies behind each door. He looks to his love for desperate aid in his time of need. Finally, she sends a silent signal and leads him toward a door.
The story ends with a question for the reader.  What was behind the door?  The lady or the tiger.
How my students answered the question revealed much to me today about their belief systems and values. Many of my males were fatalistic and decided the princess would throw them to the tiger.  My girls were quite open: If I can't have him, ain't no woman gonna have him!
Times in life when I have felt jealousy creep into my heart, I wasn't pleased with myself. I had to step back and reexamine my priorities. I can understand my teenagers and their explosive emotions; however, I hope with maturity they can see the negative impact jealousy has on their own lives.
Lord, protect me from a jealous heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment