Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Power of the Spoken Word

Bracelet
June 2010

Proverbs 20:15 NIV
"Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel."

Our small community is reeling today with the sudden and unexpected death of a well-respected man loved by young and old alike. Although I did not personally know him, several of my former students and my friends did.

I have watched the condolence page fill up on Facebook tonight as his friends and co-workers try to absorb the news. Some of the younger ones wait in vain for him to reply to their messages while older ones leave more poignant messages wishing they had told him more often how much they cared about him or how much he meant to them and their family.

I have had this conversation with a friend of mine and also with John the past couple weeks about being open with feelings. It's hard for reserved individuals, and also those from certain cultures, to speak the words in their heart. While it's true that empty words without actions to back them up are meaningless, actions without the words are also not complete and can leave others confused.

For example, my exchange student from the Republic of Georgia is extremely reserved and quiet. She went on a church conference/ski trip to Tennessee over Christmas break, and she had a wonderful time. She told me she wanted another "days" there and didn't want to return.

However, when I picked her up at the church the night they returned, my friend, who had chaperoned the trip, pulled me aside and told me he was afraid she hadn't enjoyed herself. She'd been quiet the whole trip and didn't enjoy the music at the conference.

I talked to her on the way home about this perception. While it's true she didn't like the music, she loved everything else about the trip. The disconnect came because she doesn't yet know how to express her feelings to others.

I talked to her about trying to open up some in 2011, so other people will be able to know how she feels.

I think the three most powerful words in every language are: I love you.  I've noticed my high school kids like to learn that expression first when they start taking a foreign language. 

I believe there is power in words and we can speak ideas into existence. I guess it is the power of positive thinking. If I speak the thought, I hear the thought, I embrace the thought, I can become the thought.

I know there are those tonight in Brunswick who are second-guessing themselves right now wondering if they told their friend lately how much they loved him.

At my age, I try to say the words whenever I can and not worry about what others think. I don't want to hold them inside me. I never know when I'll get another chance to speak them.
------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, comfort the families and friends of all who are grieving for loved ones tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment