Sunday, January 9, 2011

Rolling Outside the Box

Allison and her "Sled" at Grandma's House
December 23, 2004

Psalms 147:16 NIV
"He spreads the snow like wool and scatters the frost like ashes."

At the time, I thought I was acting in the best interest of motherhood. We had arrived in Ohio for Christmas unprepared for snow. Since we live in the southern part of Georgia, which has only had significant snow accumulation twice in 53 years, we don't own many warm clothes or snow boots or similar supplies for braving the frosty forces. So, when Allison, who was seven years old wanted to sled down my mom's little hill in the back yard, I wrapped her up as best I could based on the clothes I had at my disposal found in mom's coat closet.

By the time I finished, she looked like Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story. He's the poor guy who can't lower his arms after his mom bundles him up like an Egyptian mummy for school each day.

Allison, who is a bit of a fashionista, argued with me the whole time I layered her with clothes. I told her I had grown up here, and I knew better than she did how fast she would get cold playing in the snow. I was only trying to protect her from freezing body parts.

Our next problem was the sled. Mom didn't own one any more. We found the top to a plastic storage tub, but it wasn't slick enough to scoot down the slight incline of the hill on its own. We tried to increase its "slickness factor" by shoving it in a garbage bag and placing her on that and pushing. She sank deep into the snow as we inched her down the hill.

So much for her attempt to sled.  She actually had better success rolling down the hill on her own.

Despite my best efforts to protect her from the cold, her face turned as red as a lobster. She finally got so miserable she decided to come inside for hot chocolate and a television break.

She loved playing in the snow, but it didn't work out the way she planned. Kids are versatile, though. She adapted and found a way to have fun until the cold temperature forced her inside.

Adults could learn much from kids about versatility. As a teacher, I have learned I better be prepared to change my lesson plan for the day if I have to based on what's going on with my students. Versatility is one of the most important traits for me to possess on my job.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, please help me to think "outside the box" when I am faced with problems in life that seem impossible to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment