Sunday, January 30, 2011

Daddy's Shoes

Little Lori Before She Strayed from the Straight and Narrow
Circa 1961
Ezekiel 16:10 NIV
"I clothed you with an embroidered dress and put leather sandals on you. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with costly garments."


I started at the back of the sanctuary at the end of Sunday morning services. I must have been three or four years old because I wore a beautiful dress and shiny black shoes with frilly white socks mom had put on me before Sunday School that morning.

I had watched the boys play this game, and as always, what was good for the boys seemed good for Little Lori. I knelt on the polished wooden floor behind the last pew and looked ahead of me. I almost laughed out loud in delight. I saw an open sea of emptiness ahead of me. The polished wood and my cotton dress were made for each other.

My knees bent and little toes pushed me forward. I glided two pew lengths ahead.  Whoo-hoooo.  Who knew I could "swim" underneath these pews?

Going to church had just taken on a new meaning of fun for me. I bent my knees and shoved against the floor even harder the next time.  I went forward faster.

I was having the time of my young life. I was already making plans for the next rotation under the pews once I reached the front row.  In fact, I started to aim my gaze forward. However, I saw a pair of giant shoes in front of my path that were not budging.

I gulped. I knew those shoes. Those were daddy's shoes. For the first time, I began to wonder if there was a rule against sliding in a clean church dress under church pews on a dusty floor that I had forgotten about. 

Apparently there was. Dad met me at the end of my journey, picked me up by one hand, took me to the parking lot, where he spanked me and had a talk with me I never forgot.

Needless to say, my days of swimming under church pews were over.

Throughout my life, there have been times I have recognized the "shoes" of God.  His signs are all around me if I open my life to them. 

My conscience is one way God keeps His presence felt. I know right from wrong, and all God has to do is twinge my conscience, and I remember dad's shoes.

God has a way to keep me from swimming on the dusty path, just like my dad did. Even though I had fun, I was not doing what my parents expected from me. 

God expects more from me, too.  I need to be aware of His presence and keep an eye out for His signs or a pair of giant shoes in front of my path.
------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, Help me bring honor to you and follow the path you have laid out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment