Thursday, January 13, 2011

Remember This for Life

R2D2  
Deuteronomy 6:5 NIV
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."

She called out to me for help with the handout she was working on. She had difficulty wrapping her brain around one of the questions and looked up from her desk at me in confusion.  I asked, "What's the difference between a robot and a human? Think about what's inside of us."

She looked away from me, bit her lip, and sighed in frustration, "I don't know...wires? They have wires?" We couldn't get past the wires. This was the third time she had given me this response.

"What else? What do we have robots don't?"

"Uh, blood, veins, bones, a heart, lungs--" her voice trailed off.  I was at my wit's end trying to pull the answer from her.

"Okay--besides the heart, what else--besides physical?" She just looked at me. I gave in and answered it for her, "What about our spirit, our soul? What's in there?"

"You mean like emotions?"

"Yes! Now tell me how we are different from this mechanical house we just read about?"

"We have a soul and emotions and machines don't? We can love and be happy. "

"Yes!"

It seems like such a simple concept. Humans have a soul and the capacity for emotions. Robots and computers don't.

We're the ones created in God's image.

I hope my student will remember this answer for life--not just for the test.
-------------------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for my soul, which allows me to have a relationship with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment