Wednesday, January 19, 2011

No Greater Love

Friends
Summer 2010
Animal Kingdom Resort Orlando, Florida

John 15:13 NIV
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

My students and I read two stories today about honor and loyalty among friends.

"Two Friends," by Guy de Maupassant is about two older gentlemen who lived in Paris during the siege of the Franco-Prussian war. Hungry and missing their favorite pastime, fishing, they received permission to fish outside the city limits one day. 

The rest of the story reveals what happened to them. As the tale concluded, my students were divided on who had predicted the ending and who had been surprised by it. 

However, all of them were touched by the loyalty the men displayed to each other when their friendship was tested.
When I asked if they had friends like this in their lives, some of them answered, "Well, it depends which one--" The class had a good chuckle, but the truth was out. They knew loyalty is a tough quality to hold a friend to when tested.

The Greek myth, "Damon and Pythias" was the second story we read. It's about best friends who lived in Sicily in ancient times under the rule of the cruel tyrant, Dionysus. Dionysus accused Pythias of trying to overthrow him and sentenced him to death.

Pythias begged for time to get his affairs in order so his family could be taken care of first. Dionysus refused unless he could get someone else to stand in his place. Pythias immediately asked his friend, Damon, to stand in for him until he could return.  Damon willingly took his place of danger.

Dionysus, who had no friends, was amazed by this act of friendship. However, he taunted Damon. He told him Pythias would desert him and allow him to die. Damon replied the honorable Pythias would return unless death or misfortune delayed him, and in that case, he would be proud to lay down his life for his friend.

I don't want to spoil the endings of either story.  They are both online to be read. My students had lumps in their throats at the end of "Damon and Pythias" even though they told me they could see the conclusion unfolding and thought it was predictable.

I have thought about my track record in friendship tonight. I like to think based on past experiences I have proven my trust and loyalty as a friend. I hope I have been a help and support to my friends.

But there are events in life I haven't experienced yet with others. With God's wisdom, I believe He will lead me to face whatever comes in life for my friends and show me how to help them.  In the meantime, I lift my friends up in prayer.

I have read stories about people in Tucson, Arizona, who died shielding their friends and family members from bullets.

There are other stories in other places around the world every day that don't make the headlines of parents, friends and even strangers who lay down their lives for others.

What an amazing gift. What a legacy to fulfill for the person who has received that gift of life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for your Son who gave His life for me, and thank you for the countless, nameless heroes around the world who give their lives to save others everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment