Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Angels who Sent Me to College

Lori at a College Mardi Gras Party as One Half of Laurel and Hardy
Circa 1979

Hebrews 13:2 NIV
"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

When I was due to return for my senior year in college, financial problems at home meant I should stay and help out the family.

While working that year in Cincinnati, I joined a young adults' Bible study class and met people who had a direct impact on my future, although at the time, I wouldn't realize the extent of their influence beyond our weekly gatherings and fellowship.

Two of the women in the class, one a teacher, the other my boss at the YWCA in Cincinnati, approached me about finishing my last year of college. I told them it was impossible for the fall. Times were tough, and there was no money to spare. They asked if they found money for me, would I consider it. They believed I had the makings of a good teacher in me and wanted to help.

At age 22, I didn't much know what I wanted. I had met my future first husband in this same Bible study class, and it looked like all I had on my mind was marrying him.  I knew the importance of finishing college, but I also knew how difficult it would be to go back a year after all my friends had graduated.

One day, my friends from church approached me with an offer. Our church was large and many older people there had money they were willing to invest in "good causes".  My friends had vouched for me and my abilities to two women at the church. They pitched my potential as a teacher and as a Christian to the women, who had then decided to take a chance on me.

My benefactors had two conditions for loaning me money. 1) They would provide tuition and my boarding  interest free as long as I never asked for their identity and 2) I was to repay them upon graduation from college in monthly installments.

That was all, and that is how I finished my senior year of college. Two strangers took a chance on me.

I have tried to repay their kindness each day of my life by reaching out to others in need--no questions asked as to how they got into their situations. I only ask those I help to pass along the kindness to others when they are able when their situation in life stabilizes.

Thank you, my dear angels, wherever you are, for helping me finish my education degree.
----------------------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for angels who walk among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment