Friday, January 14, 2011

Their Steak Dinner

Hamburgers for a Birthday Party
June 2010

Luke 15:23 NIV
"Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate."

Whenever I teach the Odyssey and we get to the part where Odysseus' crew of meat-starved sailors arrives at Helios' Island, I tell the kids "pay close attention to actions and consequences". Helios is the sun god, who pastures his prize cattle on the island, tended lovingly by his two daughters.

Odysseus was warned if harm came to a single one of Helios' cattle, he and his men would be killed. Sure enough, it seemed the odds were against Odysseus as he tried to keep his men fed and their thoughts off steak and bar-b-que. Sadly, after a month of high winds that trapped their ship on the island, Odysseus left his crew on their own as he sought solitude to think of a new plan of escape.  

His men had their own plans. They feasted for six days on Helios' cattle.

Helios' daughters made a full report to their father, who immediately filed a grievance with Zeus demanding retribution.  Zeus agreed to destroy Odysseus' ship. 

Of course, Odysseus was horrified when he returned and witnessed the carnage, but the damage had been done. The next day, the sun shone, the weather was fair, they set sail, and Zeus aimed a lightning bolt at Odysseus' ship. Ka-Boom! All of Odysseus' men were killed. Only Odysseus' life was spared since he did not eat the meat.

My students and I discuss the importance of following instructions. Needless to say, some students need work in that area.

God has laid down parameters for my life as well. At times I disagree with His plans, and I go off on my own, like Odysseus' men. Someone (usually John) has to rescue me when I do that.  It's not as if I'm out carousing, but I get overextended, and there goes my prayer time or family devotion time, or Bible study class time, or church activity time.

It would be much easier to follow God, but He gives us free will, and He doesn't strike us down with lightning bolts.

I'm the one who's not putting one hundred percent into my walk with Him. I know this and I KNOW this!!!!  You'd think after being on this planet so long I could get my walk right more times than it is wrong.

Must be stronger... focus on God....listen to His voice and not my own. 
------------------------------
Lord, help me follow closer to you day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment