Sunday, February 27, 2011

Walking in Sunlight All of My Journey

Floating in Sunshine

Ecclesiastes 9:11 NIV
"I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all."

In 11th grade I ran for class president for our senior year. At the time it was important to me, and my friends supported me. We made posters and campaigned. I forget how many others were in the race, but my friends assured me I was an easy favorite for the position.

Up to the end of the day when the announcement was made, my friends told me I had won the election. So, when the results were announced, and my name was not mentioned, I was devastated as only a sixteen year old girl can be. I replayed all of the day's events in my mind.

Where had I gone wrong? Then I wondered how God could have thought I didn't deserve this position and the responsibilities that would come with it. I just KNEW I would have been the greatest class president in the world.

Actually, it turned out to be a blessing not to have been senior class president. There are too many duties after high school, such as trying to organize class reunions that I would have been unable to fulfill. However, at the time, I thought it a great tragedy to lose.

Time and again I have found myself in this position of confusion about events in my life. I often don't understand  what I have experienced or observed or why these things occur.

Yet, this is the reality of life, and as the Preacher in Ecclesiastes mentions, the sun will shine on both the godly and wicked alike.

For my part, I need to capitalize on my time here on Earth. I need to focus on my relationship with God. I need to work on my prayer life. I need to reach out to others. I need to be more positive at home and work. Time is too precious to squander, and I have to choose carefully how I spend it.

Ben Franklin once wrote, "Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of."

Even though the wicked and the just receive the same time and opportunity here on Earth, how a person spends his or her time will make the difference for all eternity.

As for me, I choose to walk in sunlight all of my journey.
----------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, let me finish the race, battle, and my time here on Earth by making you proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment