Monday, February 21, 2011

A Variation on a Theme

A Bee
One of the Themes of My Life
  
Psalms 31:3 NIV
"Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me."

I'm crouched on the floor of the organ loft behind dad as he plays Tara's Theme for the fourth time. I spy from my elevated position on wedding guests, who slowly make their way down the aisle and out the door to the reception hall. 

Dad has already shaken the walls of the enormous sanctuary with Mendelssohn's Wedding March on the full pipe organ as the bride and groom stepped lightly down the aisle with radiant smiles for the cameras. Now he is ad-libbing variations on a theme until the last guest clears the church. 

My job is to tell him when he can stop playing. So far there is no end in sight as guests mingle with each other to talk about the wedding.

Lucky dad is such a talented musician or else Tara's Theme would have gotten old soon. He works it masterfully each time he replays it. He weaves it in new keys; he twirls it; the organ bellows and sings in ways I couldn't have imagined possible.

Finally the crowd finds its way out of the sanctuary. Dad and I are alone in the organ loft. I stand up, look over the wooden railing at the scene below where the wedding has just taken place, then turn to admire dad. He has nonchantly gathered his music. We leave together to join the others.

Lately, I have thought about the themes of my life--how certain patterns appear over and over in new and different ways.

Just as dad wove and twirled and spun the music in the organ loft, God does the same with my life's journey. He shows me my direction by giving me signs I recognize: Patterns and themes that are meaningful to me.

If I follow the music of my life, there I will find God.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, direct me, lead me, show me signs to the path I should be on.

2 comments: