Saturday, February 5, 2011

I Will Gladly Learn and Gladly Teach

 

Lori Teaching the Children's Moment at Church


Job 38:36 NIV
"Who endowed the heart with wisdom or gave understanding to the mind ?"

In the spring semester of 1983, I student taught, which seems like a lifetime ago. I observed my supervising teacher for a few weeks as she taught, and I performed menial duties for her as I waited for the green light to teach one of her classes.

I remember some odd moments from that practicum experience.

One of those is about Billy. I'd arrive in the mornings and release Billy, one of the smallest 9th grade boys in his class, from the broom closet he had been locked in by other boys. It was a daily ritual to let Billy out of the closet.

Also, a girl could never remember my maiden name, Ms. Butler, and she called me "Ms. Bucket" instead. 

When I taught transitive and intransitive verbs, I brought a bucket to class, and we "kicked the bucket" to illustrate the difference in the verbs. We laughed a lot that day in class.

One of my students died that semester in a boating accident on a pond. He had gone fishing, and the boat overturned. I took his death as hard as the kids. 

Whenever his class met, I couldn't take my eyes off his empty seat for several days. I never understand the death of a student--one so young--gone before his life had really started.

Student teaching was a training ground for me.  I think in many ways life on Earth is also a practicum experience.  I face challenges, and God observes me as I overcome them. He offers me help and advice. 

As I grow and improve in knowledge and wisdom, I am offered the opportunity to mentor others who are just beginning their walks with Him. Along the way, I see some surprising moments and some sad ones, but God is with me the whole time.
-----------------------------------------------
Lord,  help me learn my lessons from you, for I will gladly learn and gladly teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment