Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Ride of a Lifetime

Garden Maze
Wainwright House
Rye, New York 
October 2010


Psalms 40:8 NIV
"I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."

One of my colleagues at King Kwik in Cincinnati was an Indian named Redi. He worked at the same store I did and attended the University of Cincinnati. Redi was soft-spoken and shy, but I was never daunted by quiet people. I talked his ear off, and over time, he and I became friends.

My dad was our store manager, so he knew Redi as well. One day, I took both Dad and Redi to Kings Island Amusement Park. Redi had never been there, and I was determined to put him on a roller coaster. My dad had always "chickened out" of roller coasters, so I shamed him into riding at least one with Redi.

The roller coaster, The Beast, was only a couple years old when the three of us showed up for our adventure. I had prepared the guys that day as best I could prior to the ride. We went on slow, lazy water rides and a trip up the replica of the Eiffel Tower. Eventually, I felt confident they were ready for the roller coaster of all roller coasters. THE BEAST. 

Redi and I sat in the car in front of dad. He had a car to himself.  We began our ascent up the first big hill. So far so good. Dad didn't scream, but Redi started to look nervous.

As we topped the first hill and flew toward the earth, the cars sped downward into the underground tunnel. By now, Redi's hand gripped mine with every ounce of strength he could muster, and I heard dad yell from behind me:

"Loo-rr-ii,   ww-hh-aa-tt   hh-aa-vv-ee   yy-oo-uu
gg-oo-tt-tt-ee-nn   mm-ee   ii-nn-tt-oo??"

I laughed and enjoyed myself. I was oblivious to their distress. All the twists, turns, dips and bumps thrilled me.

Poor dad and Redi at the end of the ride! They looked physically exhausted. Their legs shook. They made their way to the nearest bench. The excitement I had for the ride had eluded them.

We had all had the same experience, but it impacted us differently.

Answering God's call in life is similar. I have discovered my talents throughout my life. As God opens doors, I walk through them and answer His call. I see the same for my friends and family as they follow His will. We experience God's call in our lives, but it impacts us in different ways.

Some people find it takes great courage to follow God's call. It may demand a huge sacrifice from them. Others may be more inclined to follow Him and work out the details on the journey.

I have found, once I open my life to God's will, I have the "ride" of a lifetime. It's an adventure more exciting than The Beast ever was!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, where you lead, I will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment