Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Runnin' on Empty



Kopet Dag Mountains
Outside Ashgabat, Turkmenistan


Psalms 121:1 King James Version
"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help."

My senior stumbled into the classroom bleary-eyed with bent shoulders this morning. Granted, it was the first day back after a five-day break, but she shouldn't have been so exhausted.

"How are you?" I asked as she dropped her bags and books onto the desk.

She lifted her eyes to me in gratitude for the concern. She looked too young for the burdens she had on her shoulders.

"I got home at 3:00 this morning, Ms. Durham. My momma has been in the hospital in Brunswick for tests. They let her out last night, and I had to drive her home. I'm so tired. I barely got any sleep before school. After school gets out today, I have to take her back up there at 4:00, and they're gonna run more tests. I hope to catch some sleep in the room while they're working on her."

The drive to the hospital is about forty minutes from where she lives. She's half asleep now. I ask if she needs me to meet her at the hospital since I live in Brunswick. She looks at me kindly and shakes her head no.

"No, Ma'am. I'm okay. I'll rest. They said it'll just take an hour or so this time. I'll sleep when I get home tonight."

I give her my phone number in case she needs me in Brunswick tonight.  She smiles and thanks me.

We're still reading Tuesdays With Morrie.  One of our themes today was the importance of family. I looked at my student and acknowledged her sacrifices for her mother, but, I added, I supposed her mother had also made sacrifices for her, or else she wouldn't be so willing to help her now.

She laughed and teared up a little. She told us when she had signed on the dotted line for the military this year, her momma had cried and carried on in front of the recruiter, and she had told her momma to stop making such a fuss over her cause she knew that once they left the recruiter's office she would find something to yell at her about.

We all smiled at that image.

It seems to me, God, like a parent, must also beam when we do something noble in life. 

Not only that, but He listens to our hearts, knows our fears and desires, and we don't need his phone number to reach Him in a time of need--all we have to do is talk.

He's right beside us holding us up through all our hardships.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, heal the sick and give strength to caregivers. Thank you for supporting us when we're weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment