Sunday, February 13, 2011

All Through the Night and Day

Full Moon
April 2010
Matthew 25:36 NIV
"I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

Many of us in South Georgia have had sick children the past few weeks.  Mothers and fathers have missed countless hours of rest tending to the needs of their kids and worrying about their health. 

Our exchange daughter has strep throat right now, and this weekend I finally went to the doctor after fighting my "head cold" for a month to discover it was a sinus infection and wouldn't go away on its own without antibiotics.

Last night, with the help of the prescription medicine, I slept better than I had in weeks.

Whenever I get sick, I think back to when I was little and the comfort I felt when mom or dad would come to check in on me and give me medicine to help me sleep.

There's an old Welsh folk song titled, "All Through the Night" that captures the sentiment for me of the comfort a child has while being watched at night.

These are the first couple stanzas:

Sleep, my child, and peace attend thee
All through the night
Guardian angels God will send thee
All through the night.


Soft the drowsy hours are creeping
Hill and dale in slumber sleeping
I my loving vigil keeping
All through the night.


The song can be found on this YouTube link:
"All Through the Night"

It's well worth a few minutes to listen to the lullaby.

These days, besides the comfort of my family who continues to watch over me, and mom who calls from Ohio to see how I'm doing, I know God cares about my welfare.

It's reassuring to know I have a Heavenly Father who cares about me not only all through the night but also all through the day.
------------------------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for your love when I am sick and not feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment