Thursday, February 10, 2011

From Washcloths to Togas

This Isn't the Bathroom I was Locked Up In.
(Too Bad!)


Psalm 20:1 NIV
"May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you."

It's Saturday evening, October 21, 1978. I'm locked in the bathroom in a hotel room in Cave City, Kentucky, with "Apple Betty" Lawson.

The boys pound on the other side of the door and shout, "Toga, Toga, Toga" as loudly as possible, while we wonder if the door will break or hold firm.

We have just stopped for the night after the Eastern Kentucky-Western Kentucky football game in Bowling Green. (I don't remember who won because I don't care about football.)

We are in the band, and our trumpet player nearly got us killed today.  He had one of the red Hilltopper washcloths (sorry--I'm from Eastern--don't know their proper name) hidden in his band jacket. During the half time show, while we were on the field, he had a solo and stood at the 50-yard line where everyone could see him.

He blared away on his trumpet and did a great job. If he had just stopped there! 

However, in the arrogance of youth, just before he went back into formation with the rest of us, he ripped the red cloth out of his jacket, waved it over his head, threw it on the field, and stomped on it with both feet several times.

The boos filled the stadium. I had never heard such a racket.

We had to run for our lives to the buses when the game was over because angry Western fans chased after us. I thought we'd be safe on the bus, but the crazed Hilltoppers started to rock our bus back and forth to tip us over. 

Our driver finally managed to inch the bus through the angry mob until we broke free of them. (I hope he was paid well for that trip.)

When we arrived at Cave City, I thought I was safe from harm. Unfortunately, this is the season of Animal House, and toga parties are all the rage. College coeds now roam the outside balcony of the two-story hotel in stolen hotel bedsheets. They have also taken over the outer lawn, including the pool. 

Since I don't see the band director or his assistants anywhere, I figure we are on our own to protect ourselves. Betty and I have been raised in church and conservative families, so we are determined not to be pulled out into the mayhem we are gawking at through the window of our room. 

Once access to our room is breached, we react the only way we can think of: we lock ourselves in the bathroom.

We were 18 years old and had never seen a drunken party like the one we witnessed that night. I think we eventually calmed down, left the bathroom, and sat in our room with a trusted friend.

I know God had His hand around me that Saturday. In one long day He rescued me from an angry mob, and he protected me from a drunken one.

When you are too young to understand what is going on around you, it's nice to know God is there to bridge the gap.
--------------------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for continuing to watch over me each day.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(p.s.- I looked up the score of the game against Western. EKU lost 16-17.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment