Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Listen to the Music of the Falling Rain

Smoky Mountains 1967
The Summer of Thunderstorms
My Sister, Teri, Brother, Rob, and Me
Job 5:10 NIV
"He bestows rain on the earth; he sends water upon the countryside."

I love the aftermath of thunderstorms. The air is electrified and I feel charged up. The atmosphere is light and fresh and the temperature cooler.

In Kentucky, there was an earthy smell that accompanied the end of a storm. In Georgia, the smell of ocean and salt water marsh mingle together. Both regions of the country have their unique flavors after a storm.

I recall a storm in the mountains in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, when we were children. The thunder endlessly echoed off the mountains as I lay awake listening to the storm. Boom-boom. Boom-boom-boom like kettle drums in an orchestra. Beautiful.

In Terre Haute, Indiana, when I was snuggled up in the hide-away bed of my grandparents' couch sleeping with my sister, I remember the call of the trains as they rolled through town in the midst of midnight storms. Their whistles sounded forlorn and lonely on stormy nights.

I have heard about people hiding under beds during storms, but not me! I welcome their arrival. I enjoy burrowing under covers and sleeping through them if I can.

God knows we can't get enough rain in South Georgia, and the more storms that roll through, the better for the water table. There are many practical reasons for rain; however, I love the sound of storms for their own sake. For their own beauty.
-----------------------------------------------------
Lord, Thank you for cleansing storms and the relief they bring on many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment