Sunday, February 6, 2011

Let My Light Shine

Lori, Allison, and Russell
Savannah, GA
February 6, 2011
 
Matthew 5:16 NIV
"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

Today I drove to Savannah with Allison to meet with Russell to take our photo. We needed a current photo of ourselves for the May edition of Guideposts magazine.

I have a story coming out then, and the editor requested the family shot. Since I am the family photographer, I have every combination of photos of Russell and Allison individually and with others, but not one recent shot of the three of us together.

We found a nice location for our picture on the campus of Armstrong Atlantic State University. We located a fountain surrounded by pampas grass with live oaks covered in Spanish moss behind the fountain. We decided  it was a perfect Southern backdrop.

We were lucky. Even though the breeze was cool, it was sunny, so the photo looks deceptively like a warm summer's day. We shed our jackets for the photo to enhance the illusion. Allison and I are nursing sore throats, so we didn't spend much time on the photo shoot. We took the first photo, approved it, and then went to a restaurant for lunch before Russell had to work.

I examined the photo more closely when I got home today, and there's no doubt these are my children even though Russell tries to hide the resemblance with his facial hair.

Furthermore, as I looked at the photo, I realized how much I look like my own parents. 

Additionally, I hope I reflect God's presence of light in my life, so when others see me, they will see Him in me. My life should show the outward signs of my faith just as my appearance reflects the outward signs of my family heritage.
----------------------------------------------
Lord, let your light shine through me, so you will receive the glory of what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment