Friday, February 18, 2011

Facing Life's Challenges

My Great-Grandfather, George Washington Butler
Bravely Fought During the U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
13th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery

2 Timothy 4:5 NIV
"But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry."

I had Ernest Hemingway on my mind today.

Hemingway is famous for living in Key West, Florida, and sometimes Cuba, and writing the novella, The Old Man and the Sea among other famous stories.

Hemingway's tales often have characters, like Santiago, the Old Man, in The Old Man and the Sea, who face impossible odds against them.

Hemingway was less interested in whether or not his characters won or lost their conflicts in life. He was more interested in how they conducted themselves during their tests. Hemingway's characters were to show grace and courage under pressure.

The test of character in difficult times shows what a person is made of. Santiago, for example, suffered extreme conditions on the sea after he hooked the big fish. As he tried to bring the fish safely home, he faced even tougher challenges. However, he did not whine or complain. He fought bravely. He fought to the death.

I have faced many trials in life--some serious and some less serious, and I have discovered the character of my heart as I  faced these challenges. I try to rise above the struggles and make God proud of me.

I know my life story is not unique, but how I face challenges reflects who I am.
-------------------------------------------------
Lord, give me courage to face life's difficulties directly and bravely.

No comments:

Post a Comment