Monday, March 7, 2011

Soaring Above the Storm


           
              Choppy Night Waters of the Atlantic Due to Threatening Weather Conditions
                                                            April 2010


1 Peter 4:10 NIV
"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."


My daughter just finished reading, The Diary of Anne Frank. On the commute home from school, she retold the story and gave me her opinion of it.

This conversation allowed me to reveal that when I was twenty and had studied in Bregenz, Austria, I had a chance to visit Amsterdam and tour Anne Frank's "Hiding Place".

I tried to convey to Allison my shock at the small living space the families had to survive in. The floor squeaked. It seemed like every sound we tourists made could be heard all the way over to the next row of houses, and I think I subconsciously held my breath and walked on tiptoe as I tried not to make noise in the rooms.

Anne's room, with her decorated wall of clippings of famous actors and actresses, left me with a lump in my throat. I could imagine her taping the photos on the wall. It was such a normal teenage girl activity.

I told Allison how emotional it was for me to visit the house after reading Anne's diary and watching the 1959 movie. The movie always makes me cry, especially the last ten minutes of it when the SS is arriving with wailing sirens to arrest the family.

However, Anne's words of hope carry even the darkest ending of a movie. She wrote, "Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."

I wonder how she was able to say that considering all she went through? What a powerful insight from one so young.

I watched an interview with Miep Gies, the woman who helped protect the families while they were in hiding for two years. She said for her husband, Jan, and herself, it wasn't an option to help people in need. As soon as Mr. Frank asked for help, she said "Yes" even though it put their lives in danger.

I wonder how many people would help others like this? I wonder how many people, who are being persecuted, could still look at the world and believe in the goodness of those around them?

I wonder how I would and do measure up?

Tuesday, March 8, is International Women's Day. I thought Anne Frank and Miep Gies were two examples of outstanding women role models to consider today.

Both kept their faith and gave of themselves as best they could to others. Anne through her journal and faith in humankind and Miep through her loyal servitude.

Both were ordinary women forced into extraordinary circumstances. Their strong spirits helped them soar above the storms they faced, and, as a result, they are shining examples for all of us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, help me to be a positive role model to others around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment