Saturday, March 26, 2011

"Hello, Are You There?"

Shrimp Boats off the Coast of Cumberland Island
Summer 2005

Joshua 3:9 NIV
"Joshua said to the Israelites, "Come here and listen to the words of the LORD your God."

I met Sherry and her dad at the boat dock beside the Darien River at 3:30 a.m. Russell and I were going out with them on their shrimp boat for the day. 

I was relieved to see we had clear skies overhead. It was early December, but I was used to Ohio winter weather. I loved this southern warmth.

Sherry was a senior at school, and her family had befriended me when I moved to Darien to teach. They occassionally invited us over for dinner, which included fresh seafood her dad caught in the Atlantic Ocean while shrimping.

Russell and I boarded the boat and sat on the edge of it on the back as we headed out to sea.  We wound through the marshes of the Darien River out toward the open Atlantic waters as the orange sun began to peep over the horizon. 

Sherry's uncle was piloting another boat. Her dad talked to him on the two-way radio in the Pilot's room.

After a few minutes, her dad called to us to bring Russell up to him because someone wanted to talk to Russell on the radio. I had no idea what to expect.

Russell was five years old, and still believed in Santa Claus. Sherry's dad lifted him up onto his lap.  He spoke into the microphone: "Ok, he's here."

A voice from the radio called out: "Ho, Ho, Ho. Russell? Are you there?"

Sherry's dad gave Russell the microphone. Russell looked completely confused. He said, "Yes."

The voice continued, "This is Santa Claus, Russell.  Have you been a good boy this year?"

Russell's eyes widened and his jaw dropped. He looked at me in amazement. "Yes. I have been good," he answered into the radio.

"Okay.  I just wanted to let you know I will be coming to see you soon," said the voice. "Down here, I arrive by shrimp boat. Did you know that?" 

Russell shook his head no. His eyes still wide.

"Bye, Russell."

"Bye, Santa."

Sherry's dad swallowed a laugh as he explained in more detail to Russell how Santa arrived by shrimp boat in South Georgia.  Russell was the most amazed little boy. He had his first boat ride, and he got to talk to Santa over a radio.

I wonder how many different ways God tries to talk to me throughout the day?  I bet there are times when He wants to turn the volume of my "radio" up so I can hear Him call, "Hello, Lori, are you there? Are you being good today?"

I get so distracted by my own thoughts throughout the day that it's easy to miss God's voice.  I need to focus more on listening for God and less on listening to myself.

I need to find a way to get to a quiet place and be with God. Somehow, in the hectic pace of my life, I need to slow down and spend more time with Him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for calling out to me each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment