Thursday, March 10, 2011

May the Road Rise to Meet You

Spring Arrives in Brunswick, GA
9 March 2011 
Psalm 119:33 NIV
"Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end."

I sat in a white graduation gown clutching a red rose I had just carried as I marched in high heels down the center aisle toward my seat to the steady beat of Pomp and Circumstance in Millet Hall on Miami University's campus in Oxford, Ohio.

We were the class of 1978, and our young faces belied the fear we actually felt about entering the "real" world. We appeared radiant and jubilant on this our high school graduation night; however, truth be told, I imagine several were like me, nervously anticipating their futures.

Since my maiden name was "Butler" I was close to the stage we would float across to receive our diplomas. However, there were ceremonial events which had to occur first.

We listened to an opening prayer and welcome. We recited the Pledge of Allegiance and listened to the National Anthem. We heard an inspirational thought from a student and a speech by the principal, a mysterious man most of us knew only by his nickname, "The Owl," because he only came out of his office at night to go home.

Soon graduation speeches began, and despite my best intentions of listening with both ears, my mind roamed. 

The teachers told us "commencement" meant "the beginning," of our lives and not the "end" of our time at school. We were celebrating the beginning of our new lives and the paths where God would place us.

I gazed at my friends. Several had seats of distinction on the stage. Certainly, I thought, their lives will turn out all right. But I wonder about me. I wonder what God wants me to do?

Just before we received our diplomas, there was one more ritual. I had been a part of this my Freshman through Junior years, and now, I was among the Seniors about to receive the blessing from the concert choir.

I had never been able to get through this moment without tears, and now, as I looked at my dear friends stepping onto the risers preparing to sing to us, my eyes began to fill with water.

The "Old Irish Blessing" by Denes Agay, who died at age 95 in 2007, is a musical arrangement of an Irish blessing.

However, it has become more than this for me throughout my life. It has lifted and inspired me when I was depressed. The words have become an anthem for me in life.

As the concert choir sang, I watched through my tears as my underclassmen friends serenaded me and motioned silently to me. They also had tears in their eyes. A couple of my friends held hands on the riser to help each other get through the song.

I sat in my seat soaking up a moment I never could have prepared for emotionally. It was overpowering to hear the words and music. Not only did I feel the love of my friends, but I also felt God's love and protection.

The mask I was wearing, which hid my fears cracked some, and I began to relax as I knew whatever road God put me on in life would be the right one for me.

Furthermore, He promised to walk the road with me. I would not be alone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord,  Thank you for preparing my path for me in advance and helping me walk the roads you have led me to.
______________________________________________
Here is the video of the "Old Irish Blessing". Enjoy.



For Greg K., my buddy, and one of our great losses from the class of 1978.

No comments:

Post a Comment