Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Guardian Angels on Overtime

 A Controlled Fire
A Man Cooking Shashlyk over an Open Fire in Abadan, Turkmenistan
2009
Isaiah 40:11 NIV
"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."

The dry grass burned quickly in the heat of the summer, while the fire scorched the light-colored bricks on the side of the house on Hamlet Road. I'm not sure who owned the house, but Casey had picked it because we could lie on the hillside next to the garage and not be noticed by passing cars.

I was old enough to know better, but I trusted Casey when he pulled out his box of matches. He was my friend, and we had adventures everyday. Nothing bad ever happened. However, I think we were too young to figure out how dry the summer had been and how quickly grass will burn when it has not been watered for a long time.

Casey lit the match. At first, nothing. We just saw some smoke in the dirt. But all of a sudden, the grass leapt to life beside the bricks. The fire was about six inches long and seven inches high. That may not seem big, but for me, it was disaster. 

I panicked. For the first time since we started this "game,"  I realized the danger we had put ourselves and others in. I screamed at Casey to "do something" as we jumped up and down on the fire. It seemed like an eternity passed before we put it out.

When the excitement ended, there was a small black mark on the side of the house where the fire had stained the bricks. I have no idea how long the ash mark lasted on the bricks, but in my mind, the stain was always there every time I passed by the house.

Our guardian angels were on overtime that day keeping us and the innocent family safe from harm. Thank God we didn't burn down anyone's house through a careless choice.

They say God sends His angels to watch over "fools" and small children. I can't remember exactly how old I was when I learned it's dangerous to play with fire, but it was a lesson well worth learning to help me throughout life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Lord, thank you for the other times in my life where you have helped me after I have made a bad choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment