Sunday, March 27, 2011

God Go With You


Seagulls at East Beach
St. Simons Island, Georgia
26 March 2011



Psalm 122:8 NIV
"For the sake of my brothers and friends, I will say, "Peace be within you."

One of my former students ships out to sea tomorrow on his first tour of duty with the Navy. He's trained for several months, but this is the real event.

His friends and family are wishing him well on Facebook, knowing they will receive irregular messages from him now that he will be busy at sea. He has prepared for this moment, but now it has arrived, I sense a little nervousness in his voice.

Just a couple years ago he sat in my classroom studying English. I've lost count how many of my former students have entered the military since I have been teaching.

Since the war began after September 11, 2001, I had a student who was a prisoner of war, a student who lost part of his leg to an IED, a student whose father was killed, and various students I didn't teach but who attended the school, who were killed in battle.

I also have family members who serve in the military. My neice and her husband are in the army, and other family members have either retired or taken on other roles with the military.

I admire these young people who are willing to take a stand for their beliefs. I know it's necessary to defend our nation, and these individuals are bravely doing so.

I pray, though, for the quick end to war so our soldiers can come home. I pray world leaders will find a way to end world conflicts without the need for our military intervention. 

God hears my prayers for the end of war every night. I know I sound like a broken record, but I pray the prayer without ceasing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Too many bright young people are in harm's way. Please Lord, protect them, let our leaders bring them home, and let there be peace on Earth. As the old song says, let it begin with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment