Tuesday, December 14, 2010

To Forgive is Divine

Jade in Happier Times


Colossians 3:13 NIV
“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord  forgave you.”

My cat, Jade, was mad at me Saturday.  He decided to “keep guard” as I washed my face in the bathroom, but he forgot to tell me. He stood right behind me, so I stepped on his paw as I moved to reach for my towel, which sent me staggering backwards.

He let out a whelp. I felt terrible, but I yelled: if you stayed in the bedroom where you belonged, this never would have happened, and what were you thinking anyway?!

He stood at the doorway glaring at me then turned to leave the bedroom, but the door was shut. I told him I'd let him out, but I had to dry my face first. He flipped his tail at me, turned around, and glared some more.

Later that evening, he was back in the bedroom walking on our bed.  He refused to look at me. Instead, he lay down next to John. I called and whistled for him, but he turned a deaf ear to me. John suggested I apologize to him for stepping on him.  I protested I was not at fault and Jade could just get over it and apologize first.

However, I finally caved in, took Jade in my arms, told him how sorry I was I had stepped on him, that I loved him, and how I would be more careful.  He started to purr and rubbed up against my hand.  He even kissed my arm.  He finally forgave me once I told him I was sorry first.

I have owned many cats in my life, and I've noticed they hold grudges for a long time. However, once they forgive you, they love you with all their heart until they get mad at you again.

Jade and I have gotten along better this week, but he’s been real careful to watch where he stands when he follows me into the bathroom.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, help me let go of grudges, so I can forgive others.

No comments:

Post a Comment