Friday, December 31, 2010

The Hardest Person in the World to Shop For

Christmas Eve  2010

 

Job 6:8 NIV
"Oh, that I might have my request, that God would grant what I hope for."

The day before Christmas, Allison and John made a final trip to the store for gifts.  After years of buying gifts for me that tend to sit in packages for half the year or longer, Allie has learned to be direct with me.

"Mommy, I'm asking you one last time, what do you want for Christmas?" She pleads with her eyes for some easy answer I can't give her.

What do I want?  Well, I need new shoes, but I want to pick those out. I want a new watchband, but again, I will have to get it.  My mind spins and reels. Surely there is something I can tell her to help her out.

I'd like a digital camcorder, but I know the family budget, and that will have to wait at least a year.  She already bought me the scrapbook I wanted to put my writings in; I know because I was ordered out of the living room as she decorated it. That was my main request this year.

I need a stapler for my classroom. I'm fairly certain they will get that for me.  

My needs are so small because I have all I need. I have my family around me and their love. I don't need any material possessions that I can think of.

"Allie, I can't think of anything I need."

She sighs and gives me a look of extreme disappointment. I have failed her.

"You are the hardest person in the world to shop for!"

I consider her words and think a book of Russian short stories or poetry would be nice, but how would she know what books to buy me?  I like Seek and Find puzzle books, but I know she wants to give me gifts that glitter and sparkle and not an ordinary puzzle book.

She's too young to understand God has already blessed me with all the gifts I could ever hope to receive in life. Love of family and friends.

Who could want more than this? Yes, Allison, these gifts can't be bought at a store, but they are all I want or need at Christmas and in the New Year.
---------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Lord, for blessing me this past year with all I hoped to receive from life and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment