Saturday, December 11, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life

Sunset over the Atlantic        April 2010

Psalms 77:14 NIV
"You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples."

Our family’s favorite Christmas movie is It's a Wonderful Life. It's the ultimate Christmas miracle story.

Tonight John and I attended a party where Christmas miracles took place for a deserving family. The fireplace roared as the children opened presents, and the laughter and singing of thirty people gathered in a cozy room marked the first time I felt the Christmas spirit this season.

As I watched the family open gifts, I thought about a Christmas when I was twelve years old.

My family had hosted two foster children that year, and we had a tough time with the experience because of the way the program was operated.

Mom and dad had little money for presents for five children, so we weren't expecting many gifts. Each Christmas, mom would crochet gloves and scarves for school, and we'd get clothes we needed, but beyond that, they couldn't get us much more. They wished they could do more, but this particular year had been tough on them.

One night about a week before Christmas, the doorbell rang late at night.  Dad answered it, and I heard, "Ho, Ho. Ho!!!" Dad laughed, "Well hello, Santa!"

I turned and saw Santa Claus walk in with a bag slung over his shoulder. Usually, Santa rode on the city fire truck on Christmas Eve and threw candy canes at us. This was strange.

Dad talked to Santa trying to figure out who he was. I was more curious about his bag. To my surprise, he knew my name and handed wrapped gifts to me.  I ripped them open.

Everyone, including my parents, received gifts.Then the BIG GUY left. My parents discovered several years later which of their friends played Santa when they needed one most.

Christmas miracles happen every day. I'm thankful for being both on the receiving end and the giving end of miracles.
------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Dear Lord, thank you for your miracles at all times of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment