Monday, December 6, 2010

The Bear Who Showed Mercy

I'm Dwarfed by a Statue Years Later in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan   2008

Zechariah 7:9 NIV
"This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another'."

At 20, I worked as a cashier for Showbiz Pizza Place. Of all the memories I have from there, the one that still haunts me, yet causes me the most laughter, is the day I became Billy Bob for a 30-minute shift.

Showbiz’ mascot, Billy Bob, a six foot tall bear, who wore yellow and orange overalls, played guitar in his band during meals. At breaks, he walked the floor posing for photos with the kids and their families.

I had jealously watched others walk the floor as Billy Bob, while I performed my boring job taking orders and money from customers. Finally, after three months, I maneuvered my way into his costume.

I was warned not to speak while in costume and then led by a guide through the dining rooms. I could barely see out the bear’s mouth and had to be careful not to step on little kids who circled round me. I bent down to hug them. They loved me. This was fun.

Then I saw a shy, little boy standing off by himself. I reached toward him, heard a high-pitched scream, and watched as he darted away from me. 

My mother's instinct kicked in wanting to comfort him, so I stepped over kids and walked after the one running away. He turned around, spotted me in pursuit, screamed in terror, and picked up the pace.

If I catch up with him, he’ll see I'm harmless.

I walked faster.  My guide panted after me, "Gee, Lori. Don't you think you've done enough damage?"

I stopped.  I was three times as tall as he was and a BEAR!  I’d forgotten I wasn't myself.   Poor little guy.  He’s probably scarred for life now.

I decided to show him mercy.

I went into the back room, took off the costume, and was never asked to be Billy Bob again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, help me to show mercy as much as I show compassion to others.


No comments:

Post a Comment