Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Wisdom of Light and Earth

Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier   Chicago, IL

View of Chicago From Navy Pier Ferris Wheel



Ecclesiastes 2:13 NIV
"I saw that wisdom is better than folly, just as light is better than darkness."


There has been a Ferris wheel at Navy Pier since Chicago’s 1893 World's Fair. The current one opened in 1995 and is 140 feet in diameter. In 1999, my colleague, Dona, two teenage girls, and I attended a speech tournament in Chicago. While there, we rode this famous landmark.
 

I’m afraid of heights, so I’m not sure how I ended up on it.  Darkness had already consumed the lake view by the time we arrived, and we couldn’t even see anything.
 

Our upward progression was uninterrupted until we stopped and swung in stiff, cold, lakefront breezes as passengers off-loaded below us. Our Georgia teens hadn’t dressed for Chicago's "Windy City" nights, so each one cuddled next to Dona and me for warmth.


We slowly inched 140 feet upwards into the night, swinging above nothingness in a cage attached to a frame. The girls began to feel less secure with each passing minute. 


They began to shiver from cold and fear until one of them panicked, screamed, and attempted to climb onto Dona's lap. Our cage started to not only just swing, but also to rock out of balance.

I began THE PRAYER:  "Dear God, if you get me out of this, I promise--"
 

I peered into the misty clouds wondering how high we were. No telling. I was gazing into black pea soup and couldn’t see the ground.
 

It seemed like hours had elapsed. Where was Earth? Each minute brought new terrors to the girls, while I fought my own to encourage them.


 
When we reached the landing, the girls fought to be first out the door. I truly wished it were my feet on the ground first.
_________________________________________
Dear Lord, thank you for sunlight and solid Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment