Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Blessed are the Peacemakers

Statue of St. Francis of Assisi at Wainwright House, Rye, New York

Proverbs 16:32 NIV
"Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city."

I have a temper. I blame it on my Irish heritage, but it’s really my issue.

I admire people who are laid back.  I want to be just like them.  I’ve mellowed through the years, but still I fight my temper, especially when I’m tired, ill, or the cards are stacked against me and I feel like I’m being treated unfairly by others.

Poor Tom Rau! Tom, who was two years younger than me, lived across the street when we were kids.  We liked to play basketball, pickle, and our own version of Batman and Robin.

Tom owned a “real” Batman cape, but I only had a towel with a safety pin, so I was always Robin. I thought, since I was older, I should be Batman.  Tom never seemed to understand my logic.

Tom and I would politely begin playing Batman and Robin. Then I would decide it was time to "share" the cape. He refused to switch. I would get mad. I’m not sure, but I believe I was the one who threw the first punch. We’d roll over and over in the yard as I’d try to rip the cape off his neck so I could wear it. Since I was two years older, I always ended up sitting on top of him.

I don't know how many times he went home in tears after we played Batman and Robin. I always felt bad for losing my playmate once again.

This temper has placed me in tough situations throughout life, and I’ve had to apologize many times for hurtful things I’ve said in anger. When I put my needs first, I lose sight of my priorities. I should be focused on the needs of others, not my own.

Tom, I don't think I ever told you, but I’m sorry for acting badly when I was a kid and for hurting you for no reason at all.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, help me keep my anger in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment