Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Circle is Unbroken

Backyard Vine   St. Marys, Georgia

Isaiah 30:23 NIV
"He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows."


I understand the metaphor of sowing seeds and not knowing if they will grow or not. When I work with students, I occasionally know if I have succeeded, but usually not. 


Interesting fact about seeds: they don't stay in one location. After the first generation bears seed, the second generation can drift away on breezes to new locations.


I taught two brothers, Chris and Greg, over a seven year time period. They were in my speech and debate class. Bright, well grounded students, whose parents both worked in the school system, I enjoyed my time helping them grow in their gifts as public speakers.

I spoke to my mom about this family because I had just learned the boys' mother, Ruth, was from Terre Haute, Indiana, where mom had grown up.

Mom asked Ruth's maiden name. I told her.  

"Did her father work at Indiana State?  I had a poly-sci professor by that name, who I loved. I learned so much from him!"

I didn't expect this response but told mom I'd find out as soon as possible. 


I called Ruth. "Did your dad teach at Indiana State? Mom had a poly-sci professor by that name."


Ruth laughed in surprise and told me about her father, the professor. She was pleased to know he had made a positive impact on mom's life and was remembered fondly by her.


I relayed the information to mom. The three of us also remarked on the coincidental connection among our families we had just uncovered.


When my son, Russell, and Chris graduated, mom and Ruth met for the first time. Mom was able to personally tell her 
how much her father had meant to her.


Seeds that sprout grow, and occasionally, teachers, or their family members, bear witness to the fruit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, water the seeds I plant each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment