Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Blessed Turtle

 Turtle    July 2010


John 1:16 NIV
"From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another."

The turtle crawled on the blacktopped pavement in the sweltering summer's heat out of our subdivision toward a busy road.

John knew where he needed to be--the pond about 100 yards away from him, but in the opposite direction. With a heat index over 110 degrees Fahrenheit and headed toward a busy road, this turtle was in serious physical danger.

John put him in the back of his truck, drove down the street to our house, got the girls, who took photos, and then they headed across the street to the pond to free him.  That's the last we've seen of him.

Today I received a phone call on my way to church. My friend, Gayla, reminded me I had agreed to help serve a progressive dinner tonight for the church youth at her house.

I had no recollection of the conversation where I promised this and, in fact, had set aside my time today to grading all the research essays I had put off.

But, I told Gayla, of course I would be there to help her. Furthermore, her husband, Jim, wanted John to help him as he served drinks. I knew John would agree to this, even though he also had several items on his "to-do" list today.

Gayla and I talked tonight between servings about the blessings of friendship. We both know no matter what, we will come to the other's rescue, and we have. Friends like Gayla are good to hold onto in life.

The turtle received a blessing when John found him and rescued him.  I can't imagine life without the blessing of friendship and those who rescue me when I need help.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, thank you for reliable friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment