Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Assisting the Weak

God's Strength Revealed in Nature

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

Yesterday, the 16-year old bent over his desk and drew random markings on it.  He paused, reread his test prompt for the final exam essay and then flipped his pencil absentmindedly through his fingers.

The clock ticked. I watched and waited.

He scribbled a mind map and wrote a few thoughts. Then, tired, he propped up his left arm, leaned his head in his hand, and continued to trace a pattern on his desk.

The clock ticked. I watched and waited.

He had told me earlier this year things were tough at home. On this, our first day back from Thanksgiving Break, I wondered what he had endured during those long days at home.

He sighed. He lay his pencil on his desk, rested his head in both hands, and doubled over from the weight of a personal grief.

I waited until I knew he couldn't finish the task he faced, and I wrote him a note: "What is going on with you today? Do you need to take this test another day?"

He read the note. Picked up his pencil to explain, "Crazy things happened at home last week. I'm distracted today.  I can't think of anything else but that."

As soon as I read the reply, I removed his immediate burden.

I can't help his home situation, but I can help him at school while he is under my care.  I picked up his test and will give it to him on a better day. 

Today, I discovered the rest of his story.  His grief is real and his burdens are great. He has the responsibilities of a person twice or three times his age. 

I will watch and I will wait, and when I can help him again, I will.
----------------------------------------
Lord, bless these children who must become old before their time. Let me always be watchful to know when I can assist them.

No comments:

Post a Comment