Monday, December 5, 2011

Is it Cold Enough Yet?

At Times I Feel as Hot as the Sun


Isaiah 46:4 NIV
"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."


John sighs from his reclined position on the couch and asks, "Lori, do we really need the air conditioner on?"

"Uh, no!" I lie as I jump up to turn off the air before he can see how low I have set it. After all, it is in the 50s outside. We probably don't need the air set at 68.

The thing is, this past year, John and I've reached a parting of the ways.  I'm hot ALL the time. He's cold-natured. This can't be good for the next decade of our marriage.

My students complain all day about my cold room. A male colleague next door to me shivers whenever he steps in to talk to me.

However, I'm comfortable. I wear summer shirts and still sweat. If I weren't at work, I'd probably be in shorts and sandals as well. I can't strip naked in my classroom, but I can turn the temperature down as much as possible when there aren't any students in there. (The Energy Czar at school prevents us from lowering the temperature past 70! Of course, the Czar is male!)

John and I play cat and mouse with the thermostat.  When he isn't looking, I lower the temperature a couple degrees. When he finally notices how cold he is, he turns on the heat.

I'd always heard older friends complain about how tough the change of life was on them; however, the only problem I have is I'm on fire all the time.

I'm thinking about looking for people with palm fronds to follow me around and fan me around the clock. There's a shortage of jobs in America; I wonder how much it would cost to pay someone to keep me cool?

I keep praying for a cold winter freeze, but I don't tell my family. John couldn't take a cold winter.

It's been about 22 years since South Georgia saw snow. If I get my prayers answered, I'll be making snow angels all day long this Christmas.
------------------------------
Dear Lord, I don't mean to sound too desperate, but PLEASE let us have a white and cold Christmas this year.

1 comment:

  1. Precious, Lori! And c'mon over. We had snow (well, just a few flakes) yesterday. But it was enough to cause the boys to bolt out with gloves, boots, hats...I hope that you get your Christmas wish! (I'm a warm weather girl. Sweet, sweet summer, where have you gone?) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete