Wednesday, November 23, 2011

All Good Gifts Come From Above


God's Strength Will Sustain Us


Philippians 4:6-7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. What a wonderful concept in our modern age: Set aside one day of work to formally give thanks to the Lord for the blessings of our lives!

Today I have checked FaceBook statuses to see my friends traveling to various locations around the country to be with their family.  We'll travel to John's mother's house tomorrow, where we'll share thanks for our blessings with his family as we sit around a table overflowing with a feast prepared with love.

This past year with furlough days, budget cuts, and a salary freeze, we have had stressful moments in our family budget.  Many nights have found me lost in prayer for the ability to afford eye glasses, haircuts, and a refrigerator to replace our old one. 

I remember about the lilies of the field and how they toiled not, but sometimes it's tough to imagine myself as a lily. I know He is aware of every bird that falls to Earth, yet I have a difficult time personalizing this to my situation.

I worry too much.  I try not to show it, but at times I am paralyzed with worry. 

In this time of thanksgiving, I need to refocus my fears onto my blessings.  I need to count them "one by one" as the old gospel song admonishes.

Faith, Hope, and Love.  I still possess these three.

However, we have cut back on our spending. Luxury items are discussed and weighed against greater needs in the household.  We have included Allison in our budget discussions, and she has started clipping coupons to help us out.  She feels empowered as she helps us save money.

Ultimately, God is indeed blessing our lives, and we don't need many material items when we have the love of God flowing through our family. 

I'm thankful every day for God's blessings, but I'm glad tomorrow is set aside to formally thank Him and to acknowledge all He is doing for us. 

I need the reminder that even if I don't feel like a lily, or fly like a bird, God is watching over me carefully and providing for my needs.
--------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for the reminder that all good gifts come from above.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is so nice! :) I found it from Joy's blog (Joy Caroline: A 13-Year-Old-Girl Living for Jesus). We are friends in real life and I recently started blogging. I love your rainbow theme.

    Have a blessed Thanksgiving!


    Allyson
    duggarfamilyblog.wordpress.com
    beauty-thingsofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson,

    Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you have enjoyed my posts.

    I hope you also have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

    Blessings- Lori

    ReplyDelete