Saturday, November 26, 2011

OOPS! There She Falls

John and Allie Pause Before Placing Ornaments on the Tree
November 2011

Matthew 19:19 NIV
"Honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself."

John and Allison are putting the finishing touches on our Christmas tree.  Watching them work together reminds me of my childhood and helping my dad put up the tree.

Mom and Dad were good sports about the holidays and always managed to get the house decorated.  We kids would go with dad to a local tree lot to select a live tree.

I can remember being bundled up in my winter coat, snowflakes flying in the breeze, following dad through row after row of trees hunting for the perfect one.  Once we found one, the workers tied it to the top of the car, and homeward we would drive.

One year, when I was about ten years old, dad selected a pine tree. Gorgeous tree.  We decorated it with lights, ornaments, silver tinsel, and maybe even popcorn strands because sometimes we strung popcorn and hung it on the tree.

I was mesmerized by that beautiful tree once it was lit up. I stared at it for several minutes until I noticed an object on the tree I had overlooked.  A pine cone! A small pine cone was nestled on a branch deep inside the tree. 

For a kid from Ohio, the pine cone seemed exotic. Maybe I had seen one before, but I don't think I had ever noticed one on a tree before.  Curiosity overtook the common sense of youth, and I reached for the pine cone.  I tugged on it; it didn't budge.

I pulled a little harder, but still it held on tightly to the branch.  Undaunted, I gave it a tug for all I was worth.  Right then, I remembered I was tugging on a newly decorated Christmas tree precariously balanced in a small tree stand filled with water.

Before I knew what happened, the tree tipped over in my direction. My hand still on the pine cone, I was powerless to stop gravity from operating.  The tree hit the floor with a thud just as dad turned a corner to come into the room.

I had no idea dad could move that fast, nor me for that matter.  As he hollered, "Lori, what have you done?!" I tore through the living room headed for the safety of my bedroom.  He bent over, tore off his slipper and flung it out of frustration in my direction.  I ducked. It hit the clock on the wall, knocked it off, and it never kept proper time again, as I recall.

Dad finally calmed down, and I never tried to take a pine cone off a Christmas tree again.  Needless to say, the pine cone never came off that tree.  I think it must have been bolted on there!

Christmas memories like this make the holidays easier for me when I miss my dad.  I can laugh now about that moment, but at the time, it was quite traumatic. However, my dad eventually forgave me. 

I watch Allie and John tonight as they arrange the lights and ornaments on the tree. I pray for a lifetime of good memories for her as she remembers helping her dad.
-------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for memories of those we love.

                                                     Dad, Teri and Me 1963
           Dad and Me 1960

No comments:

Post a Comment