Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Seasoned by the Master Chef

Seasoned over Fire
21 June 2011


Zechariah 13:9
"This third I will put into the fire;  I will refine them like silver
and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’”


As I write, I smell a pot of beans simmering on the stove. The aroma of pork necks, onions, potatoes and green beans soaking in the juices of chicken stock is overpowering me.  I seasoned the mixture with a spice designed to draw out the flavor from the neck bones as well as a couple cloves of garlic and black pepper.

One of my friends sent me devotions this past week focused on the refining process God uses to help us grow spiritually. At times in my life, I have felt Him put me in the pot and fire it up. However, rather than breaking me, He has seasoned my life, just like this pot of beans I'm cooking.

The longer I simmer over the fire, the better I become as a person. I learn compassion for others after I have walked through the refining process.  While I may suffer through the hard times, God always sends helpers to care for me, to watch over me, and to encourage me.

I have often thought one of my purposes in life was to help others as they walk through the fires they face. The idea of being seasoned over fire appeals to me because my own struggles have given me a rich background in which to help others. 

My beans are soaking up the richness of flavors as I type just as God helps me daily as I absorb difficult news and strive to carry on through it.

If I trust my Heavenly Chef, then I know He will make sure I am seasoned properly and not burnt by the fires of life.
--------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for refining and seasoning me. Help me share with others the lessons I have learned through this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment